Getting Started

To be eligible for benefits, you must be one of the following:

  • Veteran
  • Spouse
  • Surviving Spouse
  • Child or parent of a deceased veteran
  • Active duty military service member
  • Member of the Reserves or National Guard

Discharge Document (DD-214) & Military Service Records

To apply for most benefits, you will need to provide military personnel records. If you do not have a copy of your discharge document, you can receive free copies by visiting the Anoka County Veteran Services Office and completing form SF-180.

Other documents you may need to get started

  • Civilian medical records
  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificates for dependents
  • Identification card or proof of residency 
  • Military medical records
  • Military personnel file


Use these links to view checklists of items you will need to bring to our office when completing your benefit application.


For more questions on what to bring to our office email Anoka County Veteran Services or call 763-324-4500.