Military Personnel and Citizens Outside the US

Online Voter Service

Eligible military and overseas voters can apply online for an absentee ballot. This easy-to-use free service helps voters complete the Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) to apply for an absentee ballot. You must provide an email address to apply online.

Alternative Methods

Those who choose not to use the Minnesota Military and Overseas Voter Service may instead download and complete the Federal Postcard Application (PDF) (FPCA) to apply for an absentee ballot.

Be sure to read the instructions carefully and fill out the form completely. In addition, a voter’s spouse, parent, sibling, or child over 18-years-old may apply for an absentee ballot on the voter’s behalf and may submit the FPCA by fax 763-324-1160, via email, or by mailing it to 2100 3rd Avenue, Suite 160, Anoka, MN 55303. Military personnel may fax their FPCA toll free to DSN 223-5527.

Uniformed & Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act

Military personnel and civilians who are temporarily or permanently overseas, military personnel who are stationed in the U.S but away from their hometown, and their spouses and dependents, are eligible to vote in Minnesota by absentee ballot under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) and Minnesota state law.


  • Temporarily Overseas: A voter who is temporarily overseas is a citizen who would be qualified as an eligible voter to vote at their polling location in Minnesota if they were not overseas.
  • Permanently Overseas: A voter permanently overseas is a citizen who currently has no plans to return to Minnesota but is authorized by federal law to vote in Minnesota because they maintained residence in Minnesota for at least 20 days immediately prior to their departure from the United States. Voters who are permanently overseas are permitted to vote only for the offices of president, vice president, senator in Congress, and representative in Congress.
  • Uniformed or Military Personnel: A uniformed or military voter stationed (or serving) outside of their home precinct, and their spouse or dependents, may apply to vote absentee for all federal, state and local offices. This includes members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, or the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Federal Voting Assistance Program - Additional voting assistance information for service members, their families and overseas citizens.