Identification Card

All five Anoka County License Centers are able to handle each of your Identification Card transactions. Transaction types include: obtaining an ID for the first time, renewing, updating the address or name, or replacing a lost or stolen card.

How To Obtain an ID for the First Time

Minnesota has three identification options from which residents may choose:


Enhanced ID Card*

Standard ID Card

Determining which type of license or ID card works best depends on what a person needs to use the card for. Visit the DVS License/ID Options page or use their new Help Me Choose tool to find the card that best fits your needs.

*Due to EDL processing times, we only accept these applications 30 minutes after opening to 90 minutes before we close.

Once you have completed the application, you will need to pay the appropriate fee and your photo and signature will be captured for display on the new Identification card.

No Fee Identification Card for Homeless Youth

Starting January 1, 2022, homeless youth can apply for a no fee, standard Minnesota identification card (non-REAL). 

"Homeless Youth" is defined as a person 24 years of age or younger who is unaccompanied by a parent or guardian and is without shelter where care and supervision are available, has a parent or legal guardian who is unable/unwilling to shelter and care for them, or lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence.


Renewing your Identification Card

If your identification card is expired or expiring soon, you can renew your Minnesota Identification Card in person at any of our five Anoka County License Centers.

How to Renew your Identification Card

  • Complete an application that is available online or in the lobby of each License Center
  • Present current Identification Card for invalidation
  • Pay applicable renewal fee (see below)
  • Picture and signature is captured
  • Receive temporary papers while the new card is mailed to you.

Replacement, Address Change or Name Change

Duplicates are issued to replace a lost or stolen ID card or for address and name changes. If there are changes in address or name, proper identification must be presented. You must change your name on your social security card first before doing anything with your identification card. Click here for more information.

How to Apply for a Duplicate Identification Card

  • In all cases you must bring your current or recently expired Identification Card.
  • Proof of address is required for Address Change on REAL ID and EID Cards
    • You must supply two new proofs of residency that have your current address. For a list of eligible documents, please visit:                                                               REAL ID Card- List C  or   Enhanced ID - List F
  • If you are changing your name, you must provide us with a certified copy of the name change document (i.e. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, etc.).
  • For a replacement ID Card, the Identification Card photo on file is used to verify identity. If identity cannot be verified, additional identification may be needed.

Required Forms

The Identification Card application form is available online and in the lobby of all five Anoka County License Centers.

Enhanced ID (EID) and REAL ID

Anoka County is now accepting Enhanced Identification Card and REAL ID applications. The EID and REAL ID allows Minnesota residents to re-enter the U.S. at its land or seaports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. They can also be used for domestic air travel and to access federal facilities. These types of cards are an additional $15. 

Due to EID and REAL ID processing times, we only accept these applications 30 minutes after opening to 90 minutes before we close. For more information or to learn how to obtain an EID and REAL ID, please visit the Driver and Vehicle Services page.

Be sure to follow the requirements for necessary documents closely. View the news report  ’What Are The Biggest Mistakes People Are Making With REAL ID Applications’ from WCCO for more information.