Distribution of Free Publications and Community Postings Policies
Anoka County Library will provide the public with a variety of attractive and informative postings, exhibits and handouts as a way of enhancing community understanding and knowledge through their educational and cultural content. Some bulletin boards, literature racks, countertops, and tables are reserved for the exclusive use by the library to post and distribute materials about:
- Library services, programs, and events,
- Friends of Anoka County Library programs and events, and
- Other governmental entities such as local cities, Anoka County, state, and federal government.
Bulletin Boards and Distribution Space
Material posted on public bulletin boards must have a general community interest. Space is given to nonprofit organizations on a first-come, first-serve basis, and items not related to a specific, dated event will be regularly removed to make space for as many groups as possible. Materials larger than 8.5x11 will be posted if space is available.
All posting and placement of materials in distribution areas shall be done by Library staff. Materials left for posting or distribution without authorization from the library will be discarded. The Library assumes no responsibility for the preservation or protection of materials posted or distributed. Materials will not be returned. The following may not be posted or distributed at the library:
- College and university catalogs.
- Sale fliers.
- Lost and Found notices.
- Free newspapers and similar publications unless the newspaper serves as the official newspaper of a local governmental unit in which the Library Branch is situated.
- Religious tracts.
- Boxes soliciting monetary donations.
- Political Party or Candidate promotions.
- Other items which, after review by and consent of the Branch Manager, Assistant Library Director, and Library Director, are determined to be not in keeping with the character of the library.
This policy is reviewed by the Library Advisory Board (or a committee thereof) every four (4) years, or more frequently when deemed appropriate. The Library Advisory Board may recommend proposed changes subject to final approval by the Library Director and the Anoka County Board of Commissioners.