Non-Residential Charges & Appeals

Non-residential properties include improved property classified as commercial, industrial, nursing home, service station, utility, railroad or tax-exempt property.

Non-residential property owners are assessed by tax parcel according to the value of the improvements on the parcel. Improvement value does not include the value of the land. The non-residential categories are outlined.

Non-Residential Solid Waste Management Charge Categories

Category - Improvement Value Charge
$25,000 - 200,000 $53.23
$200,001 - 500,000 $172.86
$500,001 - 1,000,000 $388.83
$1,000,001 and over $1,362.90

How do I find out what the improved value is on my parcel?

Follow the steps on this page.

Non-Residential Appeal Guidelines

For non-residential properties, an appeal may be granted under the following circumstances:

  • County administrative or clerical errors.
  • The property has been misclassified for the purpose of calculating the charge as of January 2, each year.
  • The property is non-generating by nature, such as an electric generating substation.
  • The improvement was condemned, destroyed or demolished as of January 2, each year.
  • A single business with one garbage collection has been assessed on more than one contiguous parcel.
  • The property owner recycles 50% of the solid waste (includes all solid waste that is disposed of and/or recycled) generated on the parcel.
  • Waste generation - if the property owner demonstrates that the parcel generates less than the amount of solid waste (includes all solid waste that is disposed of and/or recycled) allocated to its category, the solid waste management charge will be reduced.

Non-Residential Improved Value Categories and Solid Waste Allocation

Category - Improvement Value Solid Waste Allocation
(rate - $ 27.92)
0 - 1.5 tons per year
$25,000 - 200,000 1.5 - 6 tons per year
$200,001 - 500,000 6 - 15 tons per year
$500,001 - 1,000,000 15 - 30 tons per year
$1,000,001 and over more than 30 tons per year

Applications to appeal the solid waste management charge must be submitted by May 14, each year. This deadline may be extended for good cause under extenuating circumstances by the Director of Anoka County Recycling & Resource Solutions.

Complete an Appeal

You can complete the appeal application form on-line. Fill out the Solid Waste Management Charge Appeal Application form and upload your documentation.

The property owner must pay the solid waste management charge as it appears on the property tax statement to avoid penalties and interest. A refund will be mailed to the owner if the appeal is granted.

If you would like the form sent to you by email or mail, request an appeal by contacting Anoka County Recycling & Resource Solutions at 763-324-3481 or fill out the request form.