Who must be licensed?

Anyone caring for children from more than one unrelated family must be licensed in the state of Minnesota.  
Exclusions from licensure are: 

  • Child care provided by a relative to only related children; or,
  • Child care provided to children from a single, unrelated family, for any length of time;
  • Child care provided for a cumulative total of less than 30 days in any 12-month period.

Individual who is related means a spouse, a parent, a birth or adopted child or stepchildren, a stepparent, a stepbrother, a stepsister, a niece, a nephew, an adoptive parent, a grandparent, a sibling, an aunt, an uncle, or a legal guardian.

If you are interested in becoming licensed and are an Anoka County Resident, please watch the How to Get Licensed information meeting available on this website.

 If you are operating illegally, please take the necessary actions to either come into compliance with the state law, or begin the licensing process.

 If you suspect unlicensed child care
, please call 763-324-1872 to make an oral report; print and mail report; or submit a report online Report of Suspected Illegal Child Care.