This American Rescue Plan act includes $65.1 billion in direct aid to counties through its Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund (SLFRF). SLFRF funds are to be used in assisting communities respond to and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic in the following ways:
- Support public health expenditures, by, for example, funding COVID-19 mitigation efforts, medical expenses, behavioral healthcare, and certain public health and safety staff.
- Address negative economic impacts caused by the public health emergency, including economic harms to workers, households, small businesses, impacted industries, and the public sector.
- Replace lost public sector revenue, using this funding to provide government services to the extent of the reduction in revenue experienced due to the pandemic.
- Provide premium pay for essential workers, offering additional support to those who have and will bear the greatest health risks because of their service in critical infrastructure sectors.
- Invest in water, sewer, and broadband infrastructure, making necessary investments to improve access to clean drinking water, support vital wastewater and stormwater infrastructure, and to expand access to broadband internet.
Funds must be either spent or obligated by 12/31/2024. Obligated funds must be spent by 12/31/2026.
Treasury has specifically restricted the funds from being used in the following ways:
- Pension contributions
- Rainy day funds
- Paying down debt, either principal or interest
- Reducing taxes/levies
- A match for other Federal Programs
Summary from Anoka County Board
Anoka County was awarded $69.8 million of SLFRF funds to assist its community in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects. Anoka County has developed ARPA Governance that includes a cross-section of leaders from various departments throughout the County. This Governance will vet projects for compliance with ARPA guidelines and alignment for the County's strategic vision. For more information see the Anoka County Annual Recovery Plan.
For more information, contact us.