Veteran's Preference Points

If you are a veteran based on Minnesota Statutes § 197.447, then you may claim Veteran's Preference points. Veteran’s Preference points will be added to the passing score of the qualified applicant. To qualify for Veteran’s Preference, the following criteria must be met:

  • Have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
  • Have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more, or for the full period ordered to active duty (not active duty for training); or have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on active duty.
  • Be a United States citizen or resident alien.

When claiming Veteran's Preference, please mail, fax, or email a copy of the most recent Veteran's Form DD214 (DD215 if applicable) and a completed Veteran's Preference Claim Form (PDF) by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the position to the Employee Relations Department.

Veteran's Preference Applicants

All Veteran’s Preference applicants must supply the following documentation via mail, fax, or email by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the position:


Disabled Veteran

Spouse of Disabled Veteran

Spouse of Deceased Veteran

  • A copy of the most recent Veteran’s Form DD214 (DD215 if applicable), photocopy of marriage certificate, spouse’s death certificate and proof veteran died on or as a result of active duty, must be submitted to receive points. You are ineligible to receive points if you have remarried or were divorced from the veteran.
  • A completed Veteran’s Preference Claim Form (PDF)

For more information regarding the “Summary of Benefits” letter, contact the Anoka County Veteran Services Office.