CSAH 49 (Hodgson Road) at CSAH 32 (County Road J / Ash Street)
Project Background / Description
In order to improve mobility in conjunction with current and future development in the area of the intersection of CSAH 49 (Hodgson Road) and CSAH 32 (County Road J / Ash Street), traffic improvements that provide safe turning movements, adequate drainage, and safe pedestrian accommodations are necessary. This project provides an opportunity to redesign the intersection in order to improve safety and mobility for all road users, including addressing the existing skew of Hodgson Road at County Road J / Ash Street.
Anoka County, in partnership with Ramsey County and the Cities of Lino Lakes and Shoreview, has hired WSB to develop design plans for intersection improvements of Hodgson Road from Emil Street to Rohavic Lane, and County Road J / Ash Street from Grotto Street to Ware Road.
The project is currently in the design phase. Potential intersection control alternatives were evaluated, and a roundabout was selected as the preferred alternative. This project will consist of roundabout construction, addition of turn lanes into the Lyngblomsten development, a trail to the northeast quadrant which would connect to the trail along the south side of County Road J / Ash Street, ADA-compliant pedestrian accommodations at the intersection, and stormwater drainage improvements.
Construction is currently anticipated to be in 2023.
Provided below are the project goals being considered during the design and construction phase of this project:
- Safely accommodate all users, including motor vehicles, transit, pedestrians, and bicyclists
- Provide efficient mobility and access for all modes of travel
- Improve storm water management and treatment
- Develop a financially responsible design that minimizes right-of-way and environmental resource impacts
Below is an overview of the project schedule, identifying key milestones in the process:
- Develop/Evaluate Concepts and Identify Preferred Alternative – September 2021
- Develop Geometric Layout – October 2021
- Preliminary Design – Fall 2021/Winter 2022
- Final Open House – Summer 2022
- Final Design – Fall 2022
- Construction – Spring 2023
Public Involvement Meetings
Various stakeholders, ranging from permitting agencies to residents or property owners living and/or working along or near the roadway, have an interest in the improvement of this roadway intersection. Anoka County recognizes that these interests vary in perspective and will use information provided by the various stakeholders when making decisions on final improvements. There are several activities that will occur throughout the design process that will allow for input from the various stakeholders. Agency and public involvement activities will be scheduled through the project’s development, and will include:
- Technical Advisory Committee Meetings - Anoka County has assembled a Technical Advisory Committee (“TAC”) to provide input and feedback on the proposed project. Members of the TAC include staff from WSB, Anoka County, Ramsey County, and the Cities of Lino Lakes and Shoreview. Members will gather information essential to the design and meet monthly to discuss different aspects of the project. Members exchange technical and political information regarding the project with governmental stakeholders, report information to their various councils and/or boards and provide directives for action during the project’s development.
- Agency Coordination Meetings - Throughout the project development process, various individual agencies may have concerns regarding resources that could be impacted due to the project. Staff from WSB, Anoka County, Ramsey County, and the Cities of Lino Lakes and Shoreview will meet with the individual agencies throughout the project’s development to gain an understanding of the concerns and work through possible mitigation strategies and any necessary design improvements.
- Presentations at Council Meetings – WSB, Anoka County and/or staff from the Cities of Lino Lakes and Shoreview will present project information at City Council meetings and/or workshops, in order to educate and solicit input from elected officials about the benefits of the proposed project.
- Public Information Meetings – staff from WSB and Anoka County will provide informational materials and maps at open house(s) that will be held in 2022. Individual meeting notices will be mailed to surrounding property owners and residents within one-half mile of the corridor. In addition, meeting notices will be posted on the Anoka County Highway Department website and this webpage. Meeting(s) will be an open house style format and/or online, where County and City staff answer questions and provide additional information as meeting attendees look at various boards and maps of the proposed project. Comment cards for any concerns, comments or questions will be provided at the meetings, and can be completed and left at the meeting(s), or completed at a later date and be mailed or dropped off at the Anoka County Highway Department offices. All verbal and written comments gathered during or after the meeting(s) will be reviewed by staff.
Layout - Current Layout
If you have any questions about the proposed project or would like to comment on any aspect of the project, please contact any of
the representatives below:
- Michelle Pritchard, Design Engineer II
763-324-3162 or Email
- Daniel Frey, Design Engineer II
763-324-3123 or Email
- Nicholas Dobda, Manager, Engineering
763-324-3118 or Email