Document Recording Requirements and Forms
Abstract vs. Torrens
Minnesota has two land record systems: Abstract and Torrens. When an Abstract property is sold, a thorough title search should be completed to look for any documents referring to the property.
Torrens properties have a Certificate of Title that gives conclusive proof of ownership with some exceptions. It consolidates records into a single document known as the Certificate of Title.
Most property in Anoka County is Abstract property, but owners may convert property from Abstract to Torrens through land registration.
General Recording Requirements
- Original document(s)
- Document dated
- Document signed
- Acknowledgment needs: Date, Legible Notary Seal, Notary Signature, Notary Commission Expire Date Names & marital status (Single or Husband and wife) of signatures being acknowledged If Corporate acknowledgment (business name, who signs & their titles)
- Legal Description (Check to see if complete)
- Exhibits are noted on document & attached
- "Drafted by:” Include name & address
- Filing fees
- White-out or white-out tape is unacceptable on any legal documents
- State Deed Tax - net consideration of the purchase price exceeding $3,000 (net consideration x 0.0033), $1.65 when consideration is $3,000 or less
- If applicable, a statement regarding "Total consideration for this transfer is $3000 or less” (Enclose $1.65 State Deed Tax)
- Agricultural Conservation fee of $5.00
- Completed Electronic Certificate of Real Estate Value (eCRV), and eCRV number on the transfer document, if applicable
- "Send Tax Statements to” Include name & address of grantee
- Delinquent taxes must be paid in full
- If split in tax parcel - all current year taxes must be paid.
- All transfer deeds — including Contracts for Deed — require:
- A completed Well Disclosure Certificate and a $50 fee, OR
- One of the following statements that apply must appear on the deed:
- “The Seller certifies that the seller does not know of any wells on the described real property." OR
- “I am familiar with the property described in this instrument and I certify that the status and the number of wells on the described real property have not changed since the last previously filed well disclosure certificate."
- Mortgage Registration Tax calculation; (Mortgage amount times .0023 = Mtg. Reg. Tax)
- Mortgage documents require an Agricultural Conservation fee of $5.00
- Multi-county mortgages that paid MRT in another county must provide a certified copy of the recorded document along with paid receipt and a $5.00 Agricultural Conservation fee is required.
Document Forms and Templates
Minnesota Department of Commerce Uniform Conveyancing Forms
For business forms relating to filing Uniform Conveyancing Forms.
To file an electronic certificate of real estate value, sometimes known as eCRV.
Well Disclosure Certificates
View instructions and forms for electronic well certificates.
InfoAdvanced Widget: Category XX-CollapsibleFromInfoAdvanced. DO NOT DELETE