Minnesota Licensing Rules and Statutes exist to ensure that licensed providers meet at least minimum care standards.
Anoka County Adult Foster Care staff works closely with providers to match residents in need of a foster home with providers. Providers make the final decision about whom they accept. However, there is no guarantee that a resident will be placed in a provider's home.
Caring adults over age 18, single or married, employed or at home, who live in Anoka County, may apply for an adult foster care license if they meet pre-determined requirements.
- Attend an informational meeting
- Complete an application form
- Pay for and pass a criminal background check
- Provide personal references
- Complete social history interviews
- Rent or own an apartment or home
- Pass Minnesota Home Fire Inspection (which has a fee of $50). Anoka County staff will help you prepare an inspection request. For more fire inspection information go to the Minnesota State Fire Code - Adult Foster Care Requirements
- Meet Adult Foster Care Program home safety requirements
- Attend licensing orientation and placement training provided by the agency. For more details regarding orientation, please click here.
- Complete 12 hours of annual training the first five years and six hours of training annually thereafter.
For more information, call Anoka County Adult Foster Care at 763-324-1230.