How do you collect a conciliation court judgment?
Even when a case is decided in your favor, it is not always easy to collect a judgment. Conciliation court is not a collection agency and cannot assist you in locating assets of the other party.

If you received a judgment and the other party (Judgment Debtor) does not appeal or voluntarily pay, you may choose to have the judgment enforced. To do this you need to file an Affidavit of Identification with the Court Administration. The court will then transcribe this judgment to district court. At that time the judgment will go against the other party’s credit rating and any of their real property. This procedure will cost an additional court determined fee; however, you may file an Affidavit of Increased Costs and that will allow you to add this amount to the judgment amount. Once the judgment is docketed to district court, it will be good for up to 10 years and is renewable.

Once you have determined what assets the debtor owns, if the debtor is employed, or where they bank, you may request a Writ of Execution. You request the writ in the county in which you want it issued. The Writ of Execution is the document which directs the sheriff to attempt to collect on your judgment. You will receive the writ in the mail with instructions to deliver it to the Sheriff’s Office. When going to the Sheriff’s Office you will need a specific list of property and / or bank accounts that belong to the Judgment Debtor or the name of the debtor’s employer. Some assets are exempt from collection by the sheriff.

You may request the court issue an Order for Disclosure if you are unable to determine what assets the debtor owns or the debtor's place of employment. The judgment must have been transcribed a minimum of 30 days before you make this request to the court. This order requires the debtor to reveal all nonexempt property and financial information to you within 10 days. If the debtor fails to respond, you may request the court to issue an Order to Show Cause. An Order to Show Cause will require the debtor to appear in court and explain why the Order for Disclosure was disobeyed.

Show All Answers

1. What is conciliation court?
2. Do you have a claim to file in conciliation court?
3. Where do you file a claim in conciliation court?
4. How do you file a claim in conciliation court?
5. What happens if a defendant files a counterclaim (claim against you)?
6. How do you prepare for the hearings?
7. What happens if you do not appear for the hearing?
8. How do you appeal a judgment of the conciliation court?
9. What happens upon appeal?
10. How do you collect a conciliation court judgment?