Death record applications will be accepted at the Vitals Statistics Office at the Government Center in Anoka.
Deceased 1997 and After
You can purchase a certified death record for a death in Minnesota that occurred in 1997, or after, at the Anoka County Government Center Vital Records Office.
Deceased Before 1997
If a death occurred prior to 1997, records must be requested through the county where the death occurred. For Anoka County, you may request death records at the Government Center Vital Records Office in Anoka.
In order to obtain a certified death record, you must show that you are an authorized requester for the record.
- Submit a completed Online application. Once you complete the application, you must come to the Anoka County Government Center Vital Records Office within 10 days to complete the process of paying and showing tangible interest which is required.
By mail or fax:
- Fill out a Minnesota Death Record application (PDF) form and have your signature verified by a Notary Public.
- Mail or fax the form(s), along with the required fee, to the Government Center Vital Records Office at 2100 3rd Ave., Anoka, MN 55303.
Download the Minnesota Death Record application (PDF) form, print it, and fill it out. You can also pick up the application form at the Government Center Vital Records Office or at any Anoka County License Center or request that the application form be sent to you.
In some cases, you may need someone to fill out the Statement to Identify Certified Birth or Death Record Applicant form (PDF).
The following documents must be accepted as meeting the requirements, unless the document has been altered or changed, or there is evidence of fraud on the face of the document.
- Unexpired picture driver's license of a U.S state or territory
- Unexpired picture identification card of a U.S state or territory
- Unexpired U.S federal, state, or local government employee picture ID
- Unexpired FAA aircraft pilot's license
- Unexpired U.S military picture ID
- Unexpired U.S passport
- $13 First Certified Death Record without cause of death (only for records 1997 to present).
- $13 First Certified Death Record with cause of death.
- $6 Each additional Death Record of the same record issued at the same time.